Monday, June 06, 2005

Falsely Active

by Tyler Zach



Being in a fraternity for over three years, I saw a lot of members come and go. As I stood behind an executive board table and looked out into the crowd, I saw mostly freshmen and sophomores. Most of us have learned that a lot of fraternity and sorority members trickle out when they get into their later college years.

I stop and think about the most active members – who they were and what they did. Many years after college has passed, I’m sure that they will tell stories of how they led a community service project or organized a dance or raised money for charity or was the President for a year. They will look back on their experiences and the time they invested into the fraternity and be satisfied.

However, my opinion is that this scenario won’t look too different from a guy who was in the fraternity but never did anything. He is the guy who boasts that he shows up for every chapter meeting but never really joins a committee or takes on any leadership role. He is what I like to say, “falsely active”. On the outside he is a member, but he has never given his heart to the ideals of the fraternity; he is there but at the same time is not there. And down the road, he will still boast of the great things that his fraternity did and how he was involved in the action – and most people will believe him.

Does simply showing up to chapter meetings prove that you are an active heart-embracing Greek? Neither is a Christian who simply shows up for church on Sundays.

Churches are great nametags. We wear our nametags so that when people ask if we are a Christian or a follower of Christ, we just point to our nametag and smile. “I belong to _________,” we say. They reply, “Ohh, that’s wonderful.”

Just as the fraternity man points to his nametag (pin or membership card) so does the Christian point to his nametag (church). These nametags are inclusive evidence that the member has given his whole heart to the cause. Many Christians act like zombies each week flocking to a Sunday Service and then calling it good for the rest of the week.

Jesus points out that our nametags and boasting someday will be stripped away. We may claim big things, but He will simply say, “Did you really know and follow me.”

I've used this quote from Jesus before but I must use it again to drive the point home.

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day (judgement day at the end of the world), 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' – Matthew 7:21-23

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home