Monday, March 28, 2005

Weaknesses Are Awesome

by Tyler Zach



I was helping my girlfriend, Lindsey, study for a math test last night. Even though she is talented in a lot of things, math is one of her weaknesses. (Note: I will write a blog sometime on my weaknesses, but right now there isn’t enough server space to hold that kind of blog.)

She humbly asked me to help her to study and so I did. Through this experience, I really was inspired about weaknesses. Wouldn’t you agree with me that it is hard to be inspired about this topic?

Our society teaches us to hide our weaknesses and show our strengths. Why do you think guys don’t ask for directions? It shows weakness! Telling people that we are unable to do a task without them makes us feel inferior. It hurts our pride and makes us feel weak.

Then why does Paul write in his letter to the Corinthians say that God’s power is made perfect in our weaknesses? That doesn’t make any sense. Show the world that we are weak and that will surely get people lined up at the church doors!

But then I think back to Lindsey asking me for help and my perspective of weakness surprisingly changes. I wasn’t blown away that she didn’t know how to do these math problems. I felt good inside that she asked for help. I admired the change that occurred in her heart. Somehow, the humility of putting aside pride and asking me for help – something that I was more than willing to offer her – made me feel good.

The process of me helping her brought about a couple of things:

1) Intimacy – a bond and connection
2) Companionship – allowed us to have fun doing something together
3) Support – I was able to give her something that she was lacking in

Why do I bring this up? Because this mirrors exactly our relationship with God. God gives all of us weaknesses so that it will strengthen our relationship with Him. Through asking him for help in every situation, we build intimacy, we enjoy companionship, and praise Him for his unending support.

If Lindsey and I had no weaknesses OR were too prideful to ask for anything from each other, then our relationship would severely suffer. When I look at how joyful and quick I was to help her, I am blown away at the thought of how God wants to do the same for me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm....what you've said started some interesting thoughts for me. I'm on your fraternity talk group. :)

1:54 PM  
Blogger Herschel said...

Hey tyler, check out my blog man..

herschdog.blogpsot.com

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home