Thursday, March 03, 2005

Jesus is Santa Claus

by Tyler Zach

Did you know that Jesus is Santa Claus? It’s true.

According to my new favorite author Donald Miller, to interact with Santa Claus we don’t have to maintain any sort of intimate relationship. He just slips into the house, leaves presents, eats half a cookie and then hits the neighbor’s house. There is no getting out of bed in the middle of the night to have a conversation with him because if we get up he might get scared and not leave us presents. Santa is simple. If we are good, we get good stuff. If we are bad, we get coals.

In parallel, we think that when we are good Jesus rewards us, and when we are bad, He gives us the silent treatment. I mean, that’s what I do to other people as a result of how they treat me. So, Jesus does that to me, right? Actually, that isn’t the case.

“If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.”
2 Timothy 2:13

Jesus’ love remains constant whether I break his laws or not because He is a part of me now. When I got that for the first time it was a spiritual breakthrough. I can be very judgmental and guilty of treating people based on a scale system. When I found out that Jesus does not do the same, all my energies towards making myself look good to Him changed into making Him look good to others.

Santa is just one example of how we see God. Who is your Jesus imposter? As my pastor says, “Real worship begins when we start seeking the God WHO IS and stop seeking the God WE WANT .”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home