Monday, May 30, 2005

Razor Blades And Punches

by Tyler Zach



Since I am on a streak about my childhood delinquency, let me tell you another story.

In fourth grade, one of my friends was being bullied by my big, bad, cousin Brandy. I had to do something about this. So, I went into my mom’s classroom (she taught in the high school next door) after school and stole one of her yearbook razors. The next day at recess I told Josh that I would scare Brandy for him so that she would stop bullying him. I pulled out my razor and started to run after Brandy. I shouted, “Ohhhh Brandy, come heeeere”. She screamed and started to run too.

Long story short, she told the teacher that I swiped her with my razor. She claimed that a ripped seam underneath the armpit of her coat was the result of my razor attack. It was most certainly not. But you can imagine the controversy it started at school. Not good!

It is easy to view that action as "sin". Threatening people with a razor is a clear and concrete example of something you shouldn’t do. The list goes on. Don’t cheat. Don’t steal. Don’t say cuss words. But sin is much more than that.

The ancient archers of Israel called it “chata”. Greek archers called it “amartia”. Both of these words mean “you missed it,” or “you fell short.”

God has used this to shape my idea and belief of sin.

I’m starting to get the picture that I don’t sin 8-10 times a day like I previously thought, but rather 8-10 thousand times.

If the old English archers were right in calling a shot that “missed the bull’s-eye” sin, then anything that I do…that is not perfect in God’s eyes is sin.

Do we worship a perfectionist God? Yes. Does he require us to be perfect like Him? Yes. Does He accept us where we are right now in our imperfect state? Of course. That is the plan. We have to depend on Him for our growth…not ourselves.

Real repentance (the act of admitting your “missing the mark” and turning to God Himself for spiritual transformation) is God’s way of making us holy - as He is holy (to get us closer and closer to the bull’s-eye).

The fact that we “miss the mark” thousdands of times a day should keep us on our knees (fully humbled) with a great fear of God.

Years ago, I asked my Japanese roomate, Tomo, "When was the last time you sinned"? He replied, "In primary school, when I punched someone."

Do you have an unhealthy realization of your sinfulness? Do you view sin as a black and white list?

What is your first reaction to this? Is it to resist humility and cling to pride? Or do you want to fall on your knees right now, repent, and ask God to radically transform you?

2 Comments:

Blogger Todd said...

Hey Tylar man! What's up? Very good entry! :)

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting thought. I'd say I agree with you, except for the thought about God expecting us to be perfect. It's never going to happen, so my view is that God can't expect such. Does he expect us to strive for perfection? Yes. Will anyone ever get there. No.

Regardless, I enjoy the blog.

Fraternally,

Jeremy

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home