Thursday, November 02, 2006

I Almost Forgot What It Was Like

by Tyler Zach

As I walked into the meeting last night, I was a little shocked because I had almost forgotten what it was like.

I had gotten a hold of a fraternity president and asked him to speak at his chapter meeting. Ministry has not gone over very well on this campus and so I’ve been scheduling appointments to go into as many fraternities and sororities that I can… and try to surface Greeks who show at least a little interest in spiritual things.

When I walked into the fraternity meeting there were two commonalities that I recognized from my weekly meetings as a Greek: loud and obnoxious guys and lots of alcohol. The funny thing was that this fraternity wasn’t supposed to have alcohol at their meeting not because it was a chapter rule, but because they were meeting in a college classroom.

Because I have a fear of rejection, I was sweating a little because I didn’t think that these guys would want to hear what I had to say. As I stared to speak I felt myself stumbling over my words a little and swallowing a little too much. I handed out some surveys to get some feedback from the guys – to see which ones would show even a hint of interest in growing spiritually. I’d say about 1/3 of the guys didn’t even fill out a survey and about 1/2 of the guys indicated that they weren’t interested.

However, the fraternity leaders on the executive board all put down on their survey that they had a very high interest to grow spiritually. So, in the midst of a very unresponsive crowd, God was showing me that he had prepared a few very strategic people to hear the gospel. I will be meeting with these leaders one-on-one to follow up with them to see where they are at with God.

Please pray that these guys would listen and respond.

I have found that walking into a fraternity house is the hardest part of my job, but the most fulfilling because God always rewards us when we take steps of faith. And that reward is seeing glimpses of how He has already been working – even before we show up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home